Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Remembering The Notorious

14 years ago on this specific date, March 9th, one of the greatest MC's to ever grab a microphone; an artist with effortless style and rich lyrical skill, was pronounced dead at 1:15 am.

The Notorious B.I.G, born Christopher Wallace, dominated the music scene in the 90's. His music is still relevant to this day and age. Finding words to describe the legacy Biggie Smalls left behind is one of the hardest things you can ask me to do. A trend setter in the music world The Black Frank White is greatly missed and will forever remain as the greatest ever in the hearts of many.

Here's a mixtape powered by, with some of Christopher's greatest hits. Below the mixtape lies the story of his death.

On March 8, 1997, he presented an award to Toni Braxton at the 11th Annual Soul Train Music Awards in Los Angeles and was booed by some of the audience.

After the ceremony, Wallace attended an after party hosted by  Vibe magazine and Qwest Records at the Petersen Automotive Museum  in Los Angeles. Other guests included Faith Evans, Aaliyah, Sean Combs, and members of the  Bloods and Crips gangs.

On March 9, 1997, at around 12:30 a.m., Wallace left with his entourage in two GMC Suburbans to return to his hotel after the Fire Department closed the party early because of overcrowding.Wallace traveled in the front passenger seat alongside his associates, Damion "D-Roc" Butler, Junior M.A.F.I.A. member Lil' Cease and driver, Gregory "G-Money" Young. Combs traveled in the other vehicle with three bodyguards. The two trucks were trailed by a Chevrolet Blazer carrying Bad Boy's director of security.

By 12:45 a.m., the streets were crowded with people leaving the event. Wallace's truck stopped at a red light 50 yards (46 m) from the museum. A black Chevrolet Impala pulled up alongside Wallace's truck. The driver of the Impala, an African American male dressed in a blue suit and bow tie, rolled down his window, drew a 9 mm blue-steel pistol and fired at the GMC Suburban; four bullets hit Wallace in the chest. Wallace's entourage rushed him to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, but he was pronounced dead at 1:15 a.m.


Post a Comment